Debt consolidation may sound a bit overwhelming for those who have never done it. However, there are many credit counseling agencies and debt consolidators that may really help people bring them out of debt. However, you have to be careful because there are some agencies that merely are trying to make money without assisting you in the least.
It is important to know that there is a difference between these two types of companies. Credit counselors will assist you in becoming debt free and also remaining debt free. This entails helping you recognize how you got in debt and then help you get out of debt. Then they will place you on a budget and provide services that can help you remain out of debt and live a sound financial life.
Now debt consolidation companies have a little different approach. They likewise will assist you in getting out of debt, however, they do so by dealing with your creditors to merge all of your debts into one big debt with one monthly payment. This normally means acquiring some kind of loan on your behalf that will pay back your creditors and then you pay off the loan company instead.
Most individuals prefer going to a credit counseling service first before they go to a debt consolidation company. Since they feel it is important to have someone help them figure out how they got into debt in the beginning. So it fortunate that there are numerous, credit counseling companies out there.
What to search for when looking for a reputable credit counseling company?
– Most important is that they ought to be affiliated with the Better Business Bureau. If searching on the internet for a good credit counseling company, the companies internet site ought to have a BBB logo and a link to their record on the Better Business Bureau website. You will want to click the link to find out if there is any open complaints against them.
Most folks only remember the Better Business Bureau after they have been ripped off, only by then there’s not much you are able to do. Dealing with a credit counseling agency that is associated with the Better Business Bureau means that you will be able to go to them to assist and arbitrate any conflict you may have with the service provider.
– Reputable credit counseling services will be licensed by an independent nonprofit organization, just as a lot of schools are. One such accreditation organization is the National Institute for Financial Counseling Education.
– Most respectable credit counseling agencies will charge a nominal monthly fee, normally around $30. Some may charge a fee upfront, although this fee should be moderate – around $50 at most.
– You will need to complete an application when you choose to go with a credit counseling agency. The application must clearly state what the fees are, what the services to be provided are, and in what timeframe all of this will be rendered.
– Avoid any agency that claims they can “wipe out” your debt for you, instead of just helping you to pay back the debt. There really is no way to wipe out debt, even bankruptcy leaves a big mark on your credit report for ten years.
Admittedly, your vehicle might not repossessed if you stop paying off your debt. However, you are still legally bound to pay off the debt, and the possible action of being taken to court will loom over you. You will then probably be incapable of getting any sort of credit financing if you still have debts in collection, so that means no chance of buying a vehicle or home.